ARE YOU FEELING AFRAID AT HOME? YOUR LIFE AND YOUR SAFETY ARE MOST IMPORTANT. BRINGING YOUR CHILDREN WITH YOU IS IMPORTANT. EVERYTHING ELSE IS SECONDARY. SUPPORT MAY BE ACCESSED THROUGH THE POLICE OR OTHER AGENCY TO RETURN HOME TO GET YOUR BELONGINGS LATER.
If you are considering leaving a violent situation, please consider the following safety planning if you have time.
- Documents - Hide and store - medicare, pension, bank details, marriage/birth certificate, passport & driver's licence (IF THERE IS A CUSTODY AND ACCESS ORDER OR OTHER LEGAL DOCUMENTS, KEEP THEM WITH YOU)
- If possible - save money for transport or other costs
- Clothing - keep a set for you and any dependents/children in a bag in case there is a need to leave quickly
- Medication - keep any spare medication with you
- If you have children, pack a few toys
- Carry a list of telephone numbers to call in an emergency (police, crisis hotline, friends, family, shelter)
- Keep a spare set of house/car keys in a safe place or within easy reach
- Think of places you can go if you leave your home. Make a plan
- Keep a mobile phone for emergency use, if possible
- Talk to the children about the situation! They will probably be aware of what is going on. Discuss an escape plan with them. Take children with you as it can be difficult to access them at a later date
LEAVE WHEN THE ABUSER IS NOT AROUND TO ENSURE YOUR SAFETY!